Grand Canyon Dip
This amazing Grand Canyon dip takes taco dip to a whole other level. It is filled with layers and layers of deliciousness, and the pairing of sweet and spicey salsas allow the bison to shine through. This will become a family favorite in no time.
Bison is a leaner, sweeter and more flavorful alternative to beef and because it is leaner than beef, the meat won’t need to be rinsed after cooking. This means all of that yummy bison flavor goes directly into your Grand Canyon Dip. The notes of paprika, cumin and onion really bring the dish together. Serve it as a traditional dip or scoop it out to make some mile-high nachos.
Grand Canyon Dip
- 2 lbs Lone Peak Ground Bison
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups sweet corn
- 1 cup black beans - drained & rinsed
- 1 cup red onion - chopped
- 1/2 cup honey Aleppo sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
Green Chile Cream Cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese - at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canned green chile peppers
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup cheddar jack cheese OR cheddar + more for topping
- 1 cup shredded fresco cheese OR mozzarella
- 1 cup guacamole
- 2 cups fresh pico de gallo OR favorite chunky salsa
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1 jalapeno - sliced for topping
- 1/4 cup black olives - sliced for topping
- tortilla chips
- corn chips
- pita bread or naan bites
- carrots and celery
In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the bison and cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Season with smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne and onion powder. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature or chill for at least one hour.
Combine the ingredients for the corn salsa and chill. For best results, chill one hour.
Use a hand mixer to stir together the cream cheese, sour cream and green chiles. Leave standing at room temperature.
In a large bowl or deep glass serving dish, begin layering the ingredients starting with a layer of the green chile cream cheese mixture. Chill the base layer for 30 minutes.
Then add your layers, spreading to the edges of the dish: refried beans, cheddar jack, bison mix, pico, green chile cream cheese (chill after each cream cheese layer for 30 minutes), fresco cheese, corn salsa, more bison mix, guacamole, more pico, jalapeno slices, olive slices, lettuce and more cheese as desired.
Chill at least one hour or until ready to serve. Serve with your favorite chips, veggies, pita bread or pile it high and make a plate of nachos. Enjoy!